About this Show

Lou Dobbs Tonight

News/Business. Lou Dobbs. The journalist offers his take on issues and interviews newsmakers. (CC)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:01:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v761

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
1280

PIXEL HEIGHT
720

TOPIC FREQUENCY

New Buffalo 13, Us 13, Benghazi 12, New York 11, State 7, Libya 7, Lou 6, Roger 5, Roger Ailes 5, U.s. 4, America 4, Hicks 4, Pickering 4, Geico 4, Thompson 4, Fbi 3, Trey Gowdy 3, Cummings 3, Obama Administration 3, Clinton 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX Business    Lou Dobbs Tonight    News/Business. Lou Dobbs. The journalist offers  
   his take on issues and interviews newsmakers. (CC)  

    May 12, 2013
    11:00 - 12:01am EDT  

11:00pm
opportunity. that is it for tonight. thank you for joining us. do not forget to dpr the show. have a great night. hello, everyone. thank you for being with us. bombshell testimony from three benghazi witnesses, testifying in front of the house oversight committee this week. the number two diplomat in libya, on the day of those attacks, gregory hicks, libya's regional security coordinator, eric nordstrom and state department official mark thompson denying the white house version of what took place on that day. and the white house's explanation of their response over the days and weeks that followed. congressional investigators learned key details that haven't been made public by the obama administration. and we begin with the lack of response to americans under attack by terrorists and the
11:01pm
failure ofommunication between the state department, the pentagon and libya. hicks confirmed forces were available in tripoli, but were told to stand down before they could mount a rescue effort. >> we determined that we needed to send a second team from tripoli to secure the airport for the withdrawal of our personnel from benghazi after the mortar attack. >> but were any of these u.s. military personnel not permitted to travel on a rescue mission or relief mission to benghazi? >> they were not authorized to travel. >> what happened with those personnel? >> they remained in tripoli with us. >> we also learned hicks was never contacted by u.n. ambassador susan rice before she went on five separate sunday morning talk shows to deliver what turned out to be false talking points on the protest sparked by an anti-islam video.
11:02pm
hicks said everyone on the ground that day was aware from the get-go, as he put it, that it was a terrorist attack. >> so fast-forward, mr. hicks, to the sunday talk shows and ambassador susan rice. she blamed this attack on a video. in fact, she did it five different times. what was your reaction to that? >> i was stunned. my jaw dropped. and i was embarrassed. >> did she talk to you before she went on the five sunday talk shows? >> no, sir. >> you were the highest ranking official in libya at the time, correct? >> yes, sir. >> and she did not bother to have a conversation with you before she went on national television? >> no, sir. >> hicks added that the president of libya was furious after the ambassador rice
11:03pm
appearances because he went on those same sunday talk shows and he described the attack as a preplanned terror attack. according to hicks, mohamed al magraf felt embarrassed and delayed the fbi investigators from going to benghazi, a delay of 17 to 18 days. oversight committee member congressman trey gotti was one of those questioning witnesses today. he joins us in moments with his assessment of the extraordinary testimony which we heard. the benghazi whistle blowers themselves revealed new information abouthe events of september 11th, but they left a sizable number, a major question, unanswered. among those questions, why did the obama administration insist upon carrying out a media campaign to blame the deadly attacks on the amateur producer of a poorly produced youtube video, lampooning mohammed and
11:04pm
muslims. james rosen has the report. >> reporter: every piece of information we get as we got it we laid it out for the american people. >> if any administration official innluding any career official had been on television on sunday, september 16th, they would have said the same thing that ambassador rice had said. >> reporter: those statements about what the obama administration knew when u.n. ambassador susan rice appeared on the sunday shows of september 16 came under fresh assault. >> did you report to anyone in washington within the first couple of days that there was anything in connection -- a protest in connection to a youtube video? >> no, the only report that our mission made through every channel was that there had been an attack on a consulate. >> not a protest? >> no protest. >> reporter: further evidence that mr. obama's aides knew rice's narrative was false came when a gop lawmaker read from a previously undisclosed e-mail
11:05pm
that beth jones, acting assistant secretary of state for the midd east, sent on september 12th, about her discussions with the libyan ambassador. >> this is from miss jones to you, to counsel for hillary clinton, to victoria nuland, to mr. kennedy and i'm going to read from it. when he said his gornment suspected that former gadhafi regime elements carried out the attacks, i told him that the group that conducted the attacks, ansar al sharia, is affiliated with islamic terrorists. >> reporter: on september 14th, a cia document first published in the may 13 issue of the weekly standard, likewise stated we do know that islamic extremists with ties to al qaeda participated in the attack. yet rice and other senior u.s. officials far from putting out every piece of informati as they got it continued to press the false narrative. >> our initial information and that includes all information, we saw no evidence to back up
11:06pm
claims by others that this was a preplanned or premeditated attack. >> i wish i could sit here today and tell you that within days, within a week, by september 20th, when we came up here, we had a clear picture. we did not have a clear picture. >> reporter: another newly unveiled e-mail was sent on 9/11 by mark thompson, the operations officer at the state department's counterterrorism bureau, with the u.s. annex in benghazi about to face mortar fire, thompson wrote to patrick kennedy deputy wondering why the undersecretary had swiftly rejected the option that the fbi and the defense department special operations command had recommendeded that night, the deployme of the foreign emergency support team or fest. >> you wrote, quote, pat kennedy participated in a senior conference call withhthe white house and discouraged fest on option. the fbi responded this situation would be tter aressed via a fest response. why was fest not called into action? >> i do not know.
11:07pm
>> reporter: this week, thompson's former boss, daniel benjamin, said the decision not to deploy fest was the correct one, but the day after the attacks thompson wrote in an e-mail to two colleagues -- >> daniel benjamin on the phone this morning, he understands my fest point, concurs, but expressed his pessimism regarding our deployment and by extension does not intend to lobby for our inclusion. end quote. >> reporter: in a five-page point by point rebuttal released late tuesday night, a senior state department official argued that fest could not have arrived in libya in time to help the besieged americans, lou. >> and could not have known that they would not, which leaves open the question that is here, that is why they were not dispatched, of course. james, further news made after the committee hearing today, tell us about that. >> that's right. the chairman of this committee hearing, darrell issa, the republican from california, the ranking democrat, elijah cummings from maryland, after
11:08pm
the hearing they spoke to reporters and therein congressman cummings, the democrat, acknowledged for the first time he now agrees with chairman issa that this panel needs to hear directly in testimony, sworn testimony, from the two men who led the state department's post benghazi review board. former u.n. ambassador tom pickering and the former chairman of the joint chiefs of staff, admiral mike mullen. today, the committee released a pair of letters they sent to these two men back in february, asking them to testify as witnesses, they declined. lou? >> they declined. and that's quite a reversal for elijah cummings, who at the beginning of this day was absolutely adamant in rejecting this hearing because he believed it was utterly and purely politically motivated. thank you, james rosen, outstanding reporting hroughout on this story. we appreciate it. fox news chief washington correspondent james rosen. congressman trey gowdy as you
11:09pm
heard in tonight's broadcast is one of the senior members of the house oversight committee. and he made this statement as today's hearing began. >> if anyone wants to know what differences it makes, if anyone wants to ask what difference does it make, it always matters. whether or not you can trust your government. and to the families, we're going to find out what happened in benghazi and i don't care whose career is impacted. we're going to find out what happened. >> congressman trey gowdy now joins us. in addition to the house oversight committee, he also sits on the judiciary committee and chairs the subcommittee on immigration and border security as welell. quite a remarkable day, congressman. it is good of you to be here. the criticisms that arose today were primarily, it seemed, focused on secretary clinton, including yours. explain that, if you will.
11:10pm
>> well, what became clear today is that ambassador stevens was in beeghazi in part because of hillary clinton. she wanted to go to libya. she wanted a legacy. he wanted to go to benghazi, and see if that facility was secure. we also learned today that she and she alone can approve the opening or the remaining open of facilities that don't meet specifications and the one in benghazi did not meet specifications and we learned today and that e-mail from beth jones which copied her senior co knew this was a terror-related attack on september 12th, the day after. they knew it had nothing to do with a video. so hillary clinton's fingerprints are all over benghazi. >> and the fact they continued to press that. there was a -- there was quite a -- if you will, a divergence in story. as you recall, the president, in
11:11pm
the midst of the campaign, later in debate decided he had declared it was a terrorist attack, even after weeks in which his administration and he were saying, again, this was about an anti-muslim video produced by a man who remains in jail today, on a violation of probation charge. can you square that up at this point? >> well, keep in mind, this was never about winning the argument with this administration, it was just about winning the month. they had to get from the time of benghazi past a general election. keep in mind the testimony today, by the way, from a career diplomat who doesn't have a political bone in his body, and gregory hicks, the video was a total nonevent. that's a direct quote. it was never about the video. the video had nothing to do with this. the president didn't have to win the argument very long. he just had to win it until the first tuesday in november, and he did.
11:12pm
>> and it is worthwhile noti that cbs withheld for three weeks, just about three weeks, video from an interview that was conducted on the 12th, in which the president, indeed, acknowledged precisely what you say. ambassador pickering, admiral mullen, james rosen just updated us on the conversation bween elijah cumming and the chairman, darrell issa. is it -- is ambassador pickering and admiral mullen, will they be testifying before your committee? >> i sure hope so. you know, lou, there was a lot of skepticism yesterday. i heard it. this was going to be a political exercise, that perhaps the republicans wouldn't be prepared, i have never seen the oversight committee, my colleagues on the republican side of the dais as prepared and as engaged as they were today. and it is impossible to have watched any part of this hearing and not reach the conclusion that we need additional
11:13pm
hearings. and you see the benefit of actually listening to people who know what they're talking about, to eyewitness accounts. i don't want to hear political commentators. i don't want to hear members of congress. i want to hear people with firsthand eyewitness accounts. so that would include the two men that you just made reference to. the accountability review board frankly, the word that leaps to mind is laughable. the notion that the state department can judge itself is no less preposterous than a student grading his own test paper. so congress needs to do its job. today, i think we proved even to our democrat colleagues that we can do it effectively and mr. cummings is a good person. i actually happen to like elijah cummings and i am pleased with what he said to chairman issa and son chaffetz. he asked for five seconds during his time, and he said, you know what, i agree with you, i agree with you, we need to hear from
11:14pm
everybody. >> i have to say, i don't know that i've ever seen certainly a ranking member of a committee as important as the house oversight committee certainly be as declarative and as outspoken as he was in opposition to a proceeding and then based on obviously a reaction to what he heard from those three witnesses today make a judgment on principle, and intellectual integrity of the kind he's just named, saying the pickering and mullen should be before the committee. congressman -- >> kudos t him. >> absolutely. and to you. congressman trey gowdy, thank you for being here. >> thank you, lou. appreciate it. dow 15,000. new record highs for the dow, the s&p 500. it is a party on wall street. ubs chief economist morey harris to talk about the rally
11:15pm
mowing your lawn isn't always easy. but maybe the problem isn't your lawn. introducing the all-wheel-drive mower from husqvarna. we engineered its unique drive system and dual transmission to handle hills& thick grass& and tough terrain& without losing traction or power the all-wheel-drive mower from husqvarna. challenge the impossible. find the all- wheel-drive mower exclusively available at lowe's and independent dealers nationwide.
11:16pm
11:17pm
11:18pm
my guest says the fed's quantitative easing is working better than is often, well, either stated or understood. and that economic growth this year should be better than most economists would expect. joining us now is chief u.s. economist for ubs investment research, maury harris. great to have you here. i guess we can wear these things. let's see how we look with this stuff. that's -- if you can read that. can you read that? dow 15,000. so, i mean, this wasn't supposed to happen in the minds of many because the market would be indicating this economy was going to slow to zero, nothing much would happen. a four-year bull market would get all tired and forget about 15,000. happy record day. >> well, that's right, lou.
11:19pm
and i think what's happening is that we're finding out that what the fed has done with this quantitative easing, expansion of their balance sheet has been more stimulative than a lot of people expected. >> quantitative easing, i hear everybody cussing ben bernanke, but they keep sticking the fed's money in their pockets, don't they? >> well, you don't like bernanke if you were a saver and you had your money in a savings account. on the other hand, if you were stock investor, you're doing pretty good. >> and as you look at these -- all of the discussion by particularly the obama administration about stimulus, my lord, if this isn't stimulus, monetary policy terms, nothing could be conceived of then as monetary stimulus. >> well, you know, lou, this is $85 billion a month in qe. how much the fed is pouring into the banking system and expanding its balance sheet, that sequester is supposed to be $85 billion a year.
11:20pm
and this is 85 billion. of course it is important. >> i want to show the folks in the control room, i mean, i'm sure that they may not -- there they have been cheering the 15,000. it is amazing. give our folks a hat and we all go crazy. it is a remarkable day. i get sort of a -- i get a can kick today out of the excitement that was engendered by this number. it is a powerful number. and i want your thinking about what this augers for the future, what you're expecting for the remainder of the year. >> well, the stock market is an important indicator because it says something about business confidence and expectation. and as the stock market goes up, this feeds on itself when businesses tell us they're more confident and we're starting to see signs of that now. from the standpoint of the
11:21pm
american consumer, most people aren't in the stock market. those that are certainly feel wealthier and what's good about this is that it is not just the stock market that is going up, it is real estate that is recovering. you had a report today, the year on year house prices are up over 10%. so, you know, it is not just -- it is not just the more affluent who are participating in this wealth recovery. it is a broad part of the population. and this flows through to consumer spending, the companies are starting to see it and that's one reason why the market keeps going up. >> good news. and, by the way, you look great in that hat. it looks pretty good on you too. thanks so much. maury harris, we appreciate it. the gang of eight's immigration plan faces lots of opponents. we point out three of the most important in the chalk talk. the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on all purchases, plus a 50% annual bonus. and everyone but her... no. no! no.
11:22pm
...likes 50% more cash. but i don't give up easy... do you want 50% more cash? yes! yes?! ♪ [ male announcer ] the capital one cash rewards card gives you 1% cash back on every purchase, plus a 50% annual bonus on the cash you earn. it's the card for people who like more cash. ♪ what's in your wallet? why? and we've hit the why phase... governor of getting it done. you know how to dance... with a deadline. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle... and go. you can even take a full-size or above, and still pay the mid-size price. this is awesome. [ male announcer ] yes, it is, business pro. yes, it is. go national. go like a pro. yes, it is. welwhere new york state is... investing one billion dollars to attract and grow business. where companies like geico are investing
11:23pm
in technology & finance. welcome to the state where cutting taxes for business... is our business. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. new york state is throwing out the old rule book to give your business a new edge, the edge you can only get in new york state. to grow our start your business, visit thenewny.com
11:24pm
we have been talking a lot
11:25pm
about foreign policy, but it is a big week for immigration reform. the senate judiciary committee will begin its debate of amendments to the gang of eight immigration bill, this thursday. and one thing's certain, it is going to be dramatic. republican senator marco rubio, he is the face of the gang of eight. it is really quite remarkable that he became the face of a bipartisan democratically led effort, but there it is. but these are the faces of the opposition, the gangbusters, if you will. demint is number one on that list because he's the president of the heritage foundation and today the heritage foundation and senior research fellow robert rector put out a study that illegalizing 11 million illegal immigrants will cost taxpayers a net $6.3 trillion.
11:26pm
i mean, that's over the coming deca decade. 6.3, that's the net number. why, according to heritage, the typical, typical illegal immigrant household right now is receiving right now $14,000 a year and more in government benefits than it pays in taxes. but that could jump by their estimate to $30,000 if the gang of eight plan becomes law. more than double. and heritage is a force to be reckoned with. back in 2007, the last time congress debated so-called immigration reform, heritage produced a report on -- an analysis of that plan finding that amnesty would cost taxpayers at least $2.6 trillion. $2.6 trillion. those are the good old days. less than half of what they project as the cost over the
11:27pm
next several decades. and so there is going to be great weight given to the study. and, by the way, they'll create opposition. the club for growth and americans for tax reform, two conservative outfits, already jumping into criticize the heritage study, but heritage usually wins these intermural conservative battles. and this is congressman goodlatte, chairman of the house judiciy committee. democrats are in a rush to pass -pthat massive 844-page gang of eight bill that some, many in fact, are drawing comparisons to the congressional cram down of obama care, you remember that, which is clearlyot an example of good government practice. but goodlatte is taking an incremental and sensible approach to legislation in his view. he's introduced two smaller measures, important, but smaller measures, and manageable. one, an agricultural guest
11:28pm
worker program. i'll call that a gw program. the other would be the e-verify system, which requires employers to verify through the government's system of e-verify whether or not a perspective employee is legal and qualified for that job. goodlatte says he will introduce other measures, by the way, in the weeks ahead. he is the incrementalist, if you will, and the careful thoughtful approach in contrast to what others would call a cram down effort on the part of the president. republican senator jeff sessions of alabama, he's the ranking republican on the senate budget committee, he's quickly emerging as the bill's most vocal critic, he says the path to citizenship illegal immigrants is pure bull. he has an impressive amount of research to support his position. according to sessions, and the
11:29pm
staff, the republican staff, the gang of eight plan wouldn't give legal status to 11 million, but to more than 32 million immigrant immigrants. 32 million immigrants and additional 25 million visas in his judgment, that's 25 million, let me do this -- i hate to are to erase, because i'm so neat usually. okay. i was kidding about being neat. visas. 25 million of them would be granted in his view to nonimmigrant -- nonimmigrants and now we know senator rubio's feeling the heat because of the mounting opposition to the gang of eight plan. by the way, he is starting, rubio, the face of the gang of eight, to say why rush? why not think this out? why not make sensible judgments? the question now to all of this
11:30pm
is given the record of this administration and this congress and senate, will the facts matter at all to them? we'll find out. tonight we introduce you to one of the most feared men in america, an innovator. he created the first homemade 3-d printable handgun. and it fires live ammunition. cody wilson, he's leading a revolution. are you still sleeping? just wanted to check and make sure that we were on schedule. the first technology of its kind... mom and dad, i have great news. is now providing answers families need. siemens. answers. welwhere new york state is... investing one billion dollars to attract and grow business.
11:31pm
where companies like geico are investing in technology & finance. welcome to the state where cutting taxes for business... is our business. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. new york state is throwing out the old rule book to give your business a new edge, the edge you can only get in new york state. to grow our start your business, visit thenewny.com
11:32pm
11:33pm
wired magazine called my next guest one of the most, well, 15 most dangerous people in the world. this weekend he successfully fired a handgun. a handgun that he created on a home 3-d printer. senator chuck schumer describes the technology as stomach turning. joining us now is the co-founder of defense distributed, cody wilson. cody, good to have you on the show and congratulations on a
11:34pm
successful completion of your goal, which was the creation of this handgun. how long did it take you to do this? >> the design? the one you saw in the video was only four weeks in the making. literally the bulk of the time and money spent was getting through regulatory compliance and waiting for the licenses to come through. >> i've read among the magazines that covered this that your view is overcompliance when i comes to building this gun. do you feel that your progress has been impeded in any way by regulators? >> no question, man. easily half my budget has gone into talking to lawyers and complying with laws. sure, sure. total burden getting this done according to the laws. there are so many laws. not just gun laws, arms export control, tax laws, state, federal, all that stuff. >> and the result is you've done something that most people said is impossible to create a
11:35pm
plastic gun on a 3-d printer that fired successfully your first round was a 380, correct? >> that's correct. and i think they just thought it was impossible because they weren't trying, lou. it really wasn't that difficult in the end. >> as you know, you are considered a revolutionary because in the minds of many, senator schumer and others, because they actually got to outlaw such a gun and use of a 3-d printer because in their view, you have just made it possible for every human being on the planet to go to a printer and come back with being an armed citizen are revolutionary depending on your perspective, i suppose. >> they suffered quite a serious symbolic setback, haven't they? >> i like that. symbolic setback. >> that's all it is. schumer presser was a symbolic response. i should say somewhat lame. i read the text of his bill. it doesn't stop me. >> and why not? >> because it is -- the current
11:36pm
undetectible firearms act exempts manufacturers, which i am. >> and i've noticed you say that with great pride. what principle here -- what is your motivation in creating the 3-d printed gun? >> i'll tell you, man, my motivation is that political symbolic motivation. i want to put in as neat and beautiful package as i can to them that their feelings of control, the sense that they have of a corner on history is nothing but illusion, nothing but a pantomime and that they'll socially administer societyy ino the future forever and ever is collapsing in spectacular fashion. >> well, you're certainly advancing the view that that could be happening much sooner than anyone anticipated. describe your politics. are you a libertarian? an anarchist? a republican? a democrat? what are you? give yourself a label.
11:37pm
>> mr. dobbs, i'm not a voter. i don't belong to a party. you can call me anarchist. i am sympathetic with the traditional school of anarchist thought. >> and that view, which is to assert really individual freedom, that would be the ultimate extension of that. it is not entirely, well, dissident with american exaltation of self-reliance and independence, is it? >> i think the american experience and experiment at the very beginning, this intentional community found itself on the shore of some strange land was a kind of anarchic experiment. the american hostility to centralize power is a theme through all american history. >> where do you go next? cody, we're out of time. where do you go next with this amazing accomplishment? >> we will, of course, mmke it better, we'll tweak it. into software. we don't like intellectual property here. we would like to attack that
11:38pm
next. >> and by the way, we just learned that a number of retailers are going to be moving those 3-d printers in at a price point of about $1400. so this is going to get extraordinarily interesting very, very soon. cody wilson, thanks for being wi us. we appreciate it. >> a pleasure. thank you. the next warren buffett, bill gates, harvard business school professor rob caplan gives us the secrets of success in his new book, what you're really meant to do. welcome to the new buffalo... where new york state is investing one billion dollars to attract and grow business. where companies like geico are investing in technology & finance. welcome to the state where cutting taxes for business... is our business. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. new york state is throwing out the old rule book to give your business a new edge, the edge you can only get in new york state. to grow our start your business, visit thenewny.com
11:39pm
11:40pm
11:41pm
to change our definition of success to reach our potential and have a fulfilling career in life. joining us now is harvard business school professor rob kaplan, author of this new book "what you're really meant to do: a road map for reaching you're unique potential." it is great to have you. >> thanks for having me. >> let me say, professor,
11:42pm
because i think it is inappropriate to call you rob when we're talking business. we're talking business. the idea of finding potential, i was on seventh avenue today, i was looking at some people there, selling their wares as they do, and i flash back to when i was a sophomore at harvard, my second time in new york, and i was trying to figure out what in the world i was going to do. i found it intimidating even today to look out and the sea of opportunity and jobs. how do you find that potential? >> what i try to help people do in my whole career when i manage people, it was to try to first start with understanding your strengths and weaknesses, understand your passions, and then match them, do some homework on jobs out there, and figure out which jobs are a good fit. that all sounds very simple. but most people struggle to do one or more of those things. >> as you look at the road map, as rip cab laob kaplan puts it,
11:43pm
reaching your potential, it is simple in terms of your career, on wall street, you're measured by your money and the feedback is pretty straightforward, isn't it? >> no. i used to give this talk -- this book came out in talk, i used to give to all the young people at my firm. i still haven't met a business person yet who doesn't become successful over a period of time by adding value to a customer or a client. you've got to add value. you've got to build distinctive competencies, you've got to be great at certain things. you can make money for a year or two if you're not, but not over sustainable period of time. and that's certainly true of wall street, and when wall street got in trouble, it is because they got away from that. but it is true of everyone out there. what i'm trying to say to people is rather than listen to what your friends are doing or peer pressure, figure out what you're good at, what you're interested in and match it to jobs and add value and i think money will follow. >> and that's funny. one of the expressions i use almost every day in this crowd
11:44pm
is talking with my colleagues, make sure we're adding value to the air. and that is good advice -- i think pretty good idea. rob kaplan's book is "what you're really meant to do." it is available in bookstores and online now. it is highly ranked on amazon and doing terrific. we're going to continue to flog this book mercilessly in the weeks ahead. get the links at loudobbs.com. best of luck with the ok. political dynamo, just a few of the words used to describe the founder and the leader of fox news. now a new biography, roger ales, off
11:45pm
11:46pm
11:47pm
11:48pm
lou: roger ailes off camera, a fascinating fascinating new book about the president of fox news and our boss here, a man president obama once called the most powerful man in america. we agree with president obama on this, uncharacteristically. joining me now, author zev chafets. great to have you here. congratulations on the book. >> thank you. >> and i want to start with just, you know calling roger ailes the most powerful man in america, that's stout stuff. how close to true is it? >> well, you know, this came up when roger went to the white house, to the christmas party, and he was in the reception line. and just the day before somebody else had called him that in print and so when he got to the president, obama said, oh, so you're the most powerful man in america? and roger leaned in to him and said, mr. president, don't believe that. i stood that bs up myself.
11:49pm
>> it is characteristic of roger too, to deflect and to be self-deprecating. he is -- i had the privilege of working for a long time in this business. there is no more feared executive in television news. i would say in television, period. and certainly in the news media than roger ailes. he's feared. and he's respected. give us a sense of the character that he reveals, you know, as you take on his biogray. >> well, i spent close to a year with him. in meetings, traveling, you know, social situations, and, you know, i was just very surprised by how down to earth he is. he's a guy from a small town in ohio, and he's very sophisticated, obviously, but he
11:50pm
became a kind of a blunt attitude of small town america which i relate to because i grew up in a town pretty much like his, pontiac, michigan. he's from warren, ohio. and that's the way we talked back then. >> between the two of you, which is the sophisticated one then, i can ask you that? idaho, the sticks.r rupert, >> you've been around a lot of smart, highly successful amazing personalities. rate roger's intellect, his wit. i've never seen anyone, i have to say, the smartest man operating in the business. and i only say that, of course,
11:51pm
because he's my boss, but i mean, he really is. he's extraordinary. >> he's done extraordinary things. no question about that. fox news is an accomplishment. before that, cnbc. and before that, he was an adviser to three presidents. >> and what became -- >> and before that he was sort of a legendary boy producer. so it is hard to argue with his success. however else you want to look at roger ailes, he's a man who succeeded at everything he's tried. >> and the idea that he has this wit, referring to the fellow who runs msnbc i saw one line in an account this week, his wit is so razor sharp and can encapsulate bigger thoughts and stories very succinctly, referring to that person as being successful only because he was in another man's wedding party. i mean, that's about as convincing and damming as you can be. >> yeah you get one liners from
11:52pm
roger sometimes, self-deprecating, sometimes rather disparaging, but usually you survive. >> we thanyou for being here. the book is "roger ailes, off camera." and zev chafets, the author. thank you for being here. come back. >> thank you. president john f. kennedy, an addict and more. the shocking story of the doctor who hooked the president in camelot on ddugs. the authors of the new book the boys used double miles from their capital one venture car to fly home for the big family reunion. you must be garth's father? hello. mother. mother! traveling is easy with the venture card because you can fly airline anytime. two words. double miles! this guy can act. wanna play dodge rock? oh, you guys! and with double miles you can actuay use, you never miss the n. beard growing conte and go! ♪ win!
11:53pm
what's in your wallet? omnipotent of opportunity. you know how to mix bubusiness. with business. and you...rent from national. because only national lets you choose any car in the aisle. and go. you can even take a full-size or above. and still pay the mid-size price. i could get used to this. [ male announcer ] yes, you could business pro. yes, you could. go national. go like a pro. yes, you could. welwhere new york state is... investing one billion dollars to attract and grow business. where companies like geico are investing in technology & finance. welcome to the state where cutting taxes for business... is our business. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. welcome to the new buffalo. new york state is throwing out the old rule book to give your business a new edge, the edge you can only get in new york state. to grow our start your business, visit thenewny.com
11:54pm
11:55pm
shocking new revelations about presidenjohn f. kennedy's famous first debate with richard nixon and a whole lot more about camelot. my next guest say jfk was energized because of methamphetamines from an infamous doctor who actually laid the foundation for
11:56pm
methamphetamine and the drug culture in this country in large measure, so they contend. joining us now are the authors, richard lertzman and william birnes, auuhors of the brand-new book "dr. feelgood." i want to read the whole subtitle. when a subtitle is this long, there is a reason for it. the shocking story of the doctor who may have changed history by treating and drugging jfk, marilyn, elvis and other prominent figures. gentlemen, thanks and congratulations. >> thank you. >> let me start with this. the book starts out, your research and pulling it all together, some time ago, to be about robert cummings, a well known popular actor who didn't fit any part of what befell him. tell us what happened, how it became about jfk very quickly, if you can. >> cummings was a great actor, known as a health fanatic. in our research, through art linkletter and dwayne hickman we found out that cummings was a
11:57pm
methamphetamine addict and destroyed his life. >> and destroyed his life and you conducted interviews from 2004, 5, on to last year. you talked to george clooney, jerry lewis, yogi berra, all about dr. max jacobson's patients. th idea that the president, everyone sensed there was something wrong, painkillers, that sort of thing, but to be injected and as you point out one -- before the debate, i don't want to give away too much, but to be injected with methamphetamines may have actually changed his performance in the first debate with richard nixon. >> well, remember, nixon was ahead of kennedy in the polls, going into that first debate. and people saw kennedy -- >> by the way, i have to tell you the truth, i had forgotten that until i read it in the book. >> he was ahead in the polls. he was considered a lot of
11:58pm
gravitas and not only did kennedy get a shot of this methamphetamine formula, that gave him energy when he could -- he was barely walking, he was so tired, he was so fatigued, he had no voice left, and nixon was also suffering from a malady, he had bum pd his knee, he had an infected knee. kennedy tricked him into not putting makeup on, walks in like a gymnast, and the polls shifted that night, kennedy was ahead in the polls after that debate and stayed ahead through the whole course of the campaign. >> let's go to the -- to marilyn monroe. mickey mantle, to have all of these popular, cultural icons involved in this, and this guy, a german immigrant, dr dr. jacobson, injecting all of these people. the web that reaches out across hollywood, to washington, it is
11:59pm
extraordinary. >> he really reached out and really changed our society. and he staid under the radar the entire time. i mean, he treated leonard bernstein, h treated anthony quinn. his office was a new york's who's who starting at 10:00 at night until 4:00 in the morning, you could see truman capote and tennessee williams, the gift was a methamphetamine shot to everyone who staystayed. it was a who's who of new york, hollywood, the world. >> you assert this was the foundation of the drug culture of this country. >> absolutely. methamphetamines were legal in 1960. and it was only after the jacobson expose in the 1970s that we started the bureau of narcotics and dangerous drugs, the drug war began, and it was in large measure because of jacobson. >> we're going to have to leave it there. this book, we recommend to you highly. and it is on our weite,
12:00am
loudobbs.com. richard lertzman, william birnes, thank you, both. >> thank you very much. >> good luck wi the book. it is on sale at bookstores near you and on the web, of course. that's it for >> the following is a paid presentation for supersmile brought to you by guthy-renker. none of the testimonials or dentists in this show have been paid to share their opinions. >> a bright and healthy smile can be your biggest beauty asset. it's one of the first things people notice about you, but if you're embarrassed by your smile because of your stained, discolored, dull teeth it's hard to feel good about yourself. now, you can turn back the clock on your teeth and safely get a naturally whiter, brighter, sexier smile thanks to an astonishing new teeth whitening system. it's time to turn your smile into a supersmile. >> my smile a month ago was more like this. my smile now is more like this. >> the supersmile system wo

Terms of Use (10 Mar 2001)